Do you want to organize an event and need some process for stopping the canopy tent from flying away? A canopy tent is the best for its shape and the open space it gives us inside. That’s why people use canopy tents but surprisingly canopy tent rips from the ground if high winds and no weight are secured. Most of the time we adjust a rod on the ground and then tie up the canopy with it. But what if we have a concrete floor? So let’s find out how to hold down a canopy tent on concrete.
Tossing away the canopy tent is not a proud moment for a public event. Even this situation can make the event coordinators off guard and visitors won’t feel secure anymore. So the event can go completely wrong and expectedly event insurance doesn’t cover the reason for flying canopy.
As you know concrete is not ideal for pinning down a canopy tent, here we’ll discuss the ways on how to hold down a canopy tent on concrete
- 0.1 Easy ways to Hold Down a Canopy Tent
- 0.2 Pouring a Bucket with Sand, Gravel, or Water
- 0.3 Using PVC Pipe
- 1 Tent Weights vs. Tent Anchors
Easy ways to Hold Down a Canopy Tent
Perhaps the best way to hold down a canopy on the concrete floor. Using weights helps hold down the canopy instead of pinning down the canopy. The weights are heavy enough to secure the place of the canopy and totally make the canopy windproof. Here, we’ll let you know about the different weight applying methods, also these methods are applicable for good quality tent cots.
Tent weight Bags/Quick Fix Tent Wight
This is the easiest way to fix the canopy from blowing away. But comparatively expensive. In markets, you will get tent weight bags that are manufactured only for canopy. Usually, we pour the bag with sand and then insert the canopy legs in them. don’t forget to check the weight bag weight, because if they don’t meet your event canopy’s requirement, then this bag can’t hold the canopy.
The cinder Blocks process is an easy hack for weights to hold down the canopy. Normally cinder blocks weigh around 13 Kgs or 28 pounds. Totally a windproof option for your canopy. If you use cinder blocks for every leg for your canopy, no way it will fly away even in the storm.
All you have to do is, tie up a rope around the cinder blocks and the other end of the rope should tie up on the topmost corner due to maximizing security.
Sometimes you already have the option to secure a canopy, but we can’t remember it. Exercise weight is surely one of them. Don’t need to buy any extra weight or canopy securing bags if you have weights at home.
First of all, align the wights as the hole looks like a pipe shape. Then enter a rope through the hole and tie the rope with weights. It’s a great cheap solution for holding down a canopy. You can use these weight methods of the tent for desert camping too.
Pouring a Bucket with Sand, Gravel, or Water
This method is even cheaper and it is a simple DIY skill. Even this method secures the tent from the storm and makes a canopy stormproof. To accomplish the DIY, you don’t need to spend much time or filling a bucket with sand, gravel or water is the easiest way to make some weight.
- Collect a medium-large bucket of 4-5 gallon. Don’t get any broken or damaged buckets.
- Now pour the bucket with water. For water, you should pour it up to the throat of the bucket. Normally, we use a 19L bucket. So, pour the bucket up to 18L with water.
- For sand or gravel, you don’t need to fill the bucket. It requires 2/3rd sand and gravel of a bucket to hold down a canopy. It means you will need 13 kgs of sand.
- Now attach a bungee cord or normal strong rope with a bucket handle and attach the other end of the rope with the canopy’s legs. This will secure your canopy from flying away.
- Sometimes people prefer to fill up the bucket with concrete. But in this method, you have to dedicate buckets. Even after the event ends, you have no choice but to use the bucket like normally we do.
Using PVC Pipe
Surely the most expensive and permanent solution for keeping the canopy tucked against the floor. For this method, we’ll need some apparatus like-
- 4 PVC pipes (101 cm) long,
- PVC caps diameter (10 cm)
- Power Drill
- Eye protection
- Bungee cords
- Fast-drying cement (20-25 kgs)
- At the center of the PVC pipe caps, drill a hole. So, for 4 PVC pipes, 4 holes.
- Now attach 5/8-inch eye bolts in the hole and secure the eye bolts with nuts.
- Insert the nuts at both ends of the eyebolts. It will secure the eyebolt.
- Add a washer in the inside part for extra security of eyebolts.
- Now use glue to seal the caps with eye bolts on PVC pipes.
- Use a brush for gluing and use the primer before applying the glue.
- Now mix some fast-drying cement in the bucket and then pour the cement quickly into the pipes.
- Here, two people are needed. While one person will fill the pipes using a trowel, other people will hold down the pipe upright and make sure the cement reaches down to the bottom.
- Now seal the bottom of the pipe, but ensure a hole onto the bottom cap, which will allow draining of any water if there is any due to cement.
- Now if you weigh the pipes, you’ll see they are almost 30-35 kgs. Which is excellent for holding down any canopy.
- attach a bungee cord with the eyebolt and take the other end of the bungee rope towards the tent frame at the top.
Tent Weights vs. Tent Anchors
The most popular two methods for securing a canopy. Simply weights hold down the canopy weight and not necessarily have to be staked into the ground. But anchors attach to the canopy and always get staked into the ground.
The main difference we see between tent weight and anchors is, tent weight is a versatile option. It works in the very place, no matter if the surface is concrete or not. That’s why it is considered the easiest method for holding down a canopy tent. But the recommended weight for a tent is 40 pounds. This turns into a major drawback if you have a 10 x 10 canopy. You must carry quite a few weights.
On the other hand, tent anchors stake into the ground. But the only drawback is, you can’t stake the tent anchor if the floor is made of concrete. That’s why it’s really necessary to know about the ground before booking a venue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is It a Good Idea to Make Your Tent Weights?
A: making your tent weight is a great idea, to be honest. It doesn’t require much money and the main thing is you can make your own tent weight within hours. Doesn’t require much time. Also, you can use quick fix tent weight, but they are not durable. So, pouring a bucket with sand, gravel or water is a better idea.
Q: How Much Weight is Needed to occupy Your Tent?
A: Almost 40lbs for each leg of the canopy. So, if you have 10 x 10 canopy tents, for 4 legs, we’ll need 160lbs and some additional weight for extra security in stormy areas.
I guess you have come over all the confusion you had about how to anchor a canopy on concrete. It’s really important to secure outdoor events and if you are an event manager, all the mistakes will be your mistakes.
So if we have no other option but to use a bucket with sand, gravel, or water, then use this method. Yeah, it may look odd, but if you can decorate the bucket properly, it won’t be odd anymore.
Hopefully, we have got a great idea about holding down a canopy tent on concrete.